KaneKong at the Movies

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Eraserhead (1977)

Title: 'Eraserhead' (1977)
Genre: Your mind a'splode
Rating: 7.75/10

Holy thingy. What just happened?


This movie isn't for everyone, but it's for the people I like to call friends. David Lynch fills a gap in contemporary cinema that keeps my wheels rolling.

It's best to just watch this thing and turn it over and over in your head. Don't try to find any kind of an outside explanation, especially from Lynch. The DVD copy I watched had one special feature called 'Stories' that consisted almost entirely of a 90 minute one shot of Lynch, with the occasional cut to a telephone handset as he chatted with an old crew member. He's a cheeky devil. I was with a couple of friends and we only lasted 45 minutes. I'm of the opinion that he was just fucking around with anybody who expected to gain any insight from his squirrel-haired noggin'. Bless him.

As soon as the movie was finished I was hopping around online trying to find out how he made the thing in the movie. To this day, he's never commented in a public forum how it was done.

I heart him.

I don't know if we have hardly anybody who takes chances like this anymore. Maybe Todd Solondz, whose credits include 'Welcome to the Dollhouse' (1995), 'Happiness' (1998) and 'Storytelling' (2001). It's not from lack of directors, but lack of investors. What a fucking pity. Is this it? I wonder if we only get one set of 'Beatles' and 'Kubricks' per life time? Man, I could totally murder a paxil right now.

Judgement: Rent it if'n you're into the mental experimental

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home