KaneKong at the Movies

Monday, July 11, 2005

The Third Man (1949)

Title: 'The Third Man' (1949)
Genre: Thriller with its very own atmosphere
Rating: 7/10

This movie would have gotten a super high score if I didn't know anything about it going in. Not even in a 'I already know how it ends' kinda way (because I didn't), or a 'Everybody says this movie will change my life' kinda way (because they don't) but more in a 'look at the sweet cast in this thing' kinda way. Becasuse that's real hard to avoid. It's plastered all over the cover, posters, and just about anything you read about it. So the whole time you're watching the movie, you're like... Hmmm I wonder when so and so is gonna pop up?

That took a lot of the punch out of this movie. If I'd come across it by accident on the AMC channel, this movie would have gotten a high 8/10 score. But I don't think there's anyway you're going to do that. So, 7 it is.

That 7 is propped up by some of the greatest cinematography ever. For reals. The sewers in Vienna... More awesome than those little sausages. And totally ripped off in a crapload of other movies. Whatevs. The cinematography rules. It's like the celluloid is making unprotected love to your eyeballs and you're so caught up in the moment that you just don't care.


Director: Let me introduce you to my friend, the camera.
The camera: Me love you long time.

Yeah, it's totally worth watching even if you know who is in the movie. I mean, the story has crazy layers all piled up together like a wigwam made of nuttin' but sticks. And that's all wrapped up in it's own atmosphere, like you're breathing the same air those dudes are breathing (and, psst... They're all dead now). You're in a time bubble with ventilation, and you don't want that fucker to pop 'cause there's some nasty shit going on around these parts.

It's recommended

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home