KaneKong at the Movies

Monday, June 27, 2005

American History X (1999)

Title: 'American History X'
Genre: Sociological Drama. Go ahead and capitalize all the previous letters in your head. But, like, bigger than a big building.
Rating: 9/10

I loved this one. It's one of those movies that is so strong and powerful that you don't want to see it again. Not like in a 'The Thirteenth Floor' (1999) kinda sense, but more in a 'Dead Man Walking' (1995) kinda way. But then again, the performances in this crouching monster are so rock solid that I could see myself revisiting it in another decade. And Also, if I was a teacher, I'd show this flick to those snot-nosed mo-fo's every god damn semester. And if you don't like it, you can get the fuck out of my class. Get walking. That's the only time you're gonna get to see this side of that door ever again. And I'm not even gonna give you the time of day when I'm ordering my Biggie Fries twenty years from now. Don't give me the stinkeye boy, I'll go Uri Geller on your spoon-fed ass.

Back to the review. I've always been a fraidy cat to rent this movie, 'cause I figured it had to have a swastika on the cover and the grizzly lookin' blockbuster gal would give me the raised eyebrow. And, honestly, I could use less raised eyebrow at this juncture. But, this movie was on some top 100 list, so I rolled with the eyebrow.

To my fellow Go-Getters, I'm glad I did. That movie is powerful. Like when you go to Marine World and they have an elephant do the tug-of-war with 40 big dudes from the audience. And it kinda teases like it's having a hard time. Then POW! It drags those suckers on their asses from here to next week. And you're just left sitting there thinking 'was that alone worth the price of admission? Not really. But that new 'Medusa' ride was pretty sweet.'

Edward Norton is not in enough movies. Remember when he beat the shit out of himself in 'Fight Club'? (also, remember that sex scene in 'fight club'? that was totally CG! for reals!). Mr. Norton, I salute you. Edward Furlong, still a little squeeky like in that Terminator flick. But puts in a good one here. Mr. Furlong, thank you for your strong efforts. And lastly Prison-Underwear buddy and Mr. Harelip man. You guys are up there with the best of 'em. Mr. Harelip Man deserves another juicey role, surely Joaquin Phoenix doesn't own the monopoly on this. Sweep the legs! Let's go gettum!

I don't think this is a spoiler: This is one of the great ones that leaves you with questions at the end. You care about the characters. Discussion Question: What path do you think is ultimately taken after the conclusion of this movie? Full sentences, please.

I'm totally stoked on seeing this movie. Risk the raised eyebrow, it's more bang for your buck than Ramen Noodles, for the luv'a McTavish and the Tavishettes.

Prolly not a date movie. But who's really playing the field anymore anyway? (call me)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home