KaneKong at the Movies

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Midnight Cowboy (1969)

Title: 'Midnight Cowboy'
Genre: In your face, John Wayne.
Rating: 8/10

So, this is why Jon Voight is allowed to roll with the Hollywood old school. I've been wondering that for a while. I think the first time I saw him, he was being vomited out by an overgrown snake. And the 2nd time he looked like one of Dick Tracy's (1990) villains, only he was a U.S. president who wondered onto that testicle-smashing of a movie, 'Pearl Harbor' (2001).






See what I'm sayin'? This guy has been a special effect to me, all the ways up until this movie. But when you clear away the snake mucus and the Oscar Winning (reeeeally slow year) Make-Up. The guy's actually really good in front of a camera. And, while it's still a little disconcerting that Jon's natural look is what daughter Angelina Jolie would look with the Roosevelt make-up slopped all up on her visage, Voight is definitely the glue that holds this thing together.

Case in point: Very begining... Girl on bus hiding behind comic book. That scene alone is why Jon Voight still gets free booze at the parties.

Hoffman's 'Ratso' is no slouch either. We've seen this character in so many movies since the release of 'Midnight Cowboy', but those are all copycat wannabe slopheaps who don't hold so much as a matchstick (that I just snapped with my 'Flying Buddhist Palm' technique), to Hoffmans 'Ratso'.

This movie took big balls to make. When it came out it was rated 'X', but got lowered to an 'R' in the early seventies when the MPAA saw just how 'X' an 'X' rated movie could be. Like, up to the elbow and all that.

Rent it for Ratso and Buck, and all the good they did for film back in the day. We love them.

Also, rock out to Harry Nilsson's "Everybody's Talkin'" during the opening. Just get in tune with the sound of that guy's voice... You can tell his bills are all paid up. Everything is coasting like Highway 1. Breathe easy my friend.

So, have a good something. I'm way behind on my posts, 'cause I moved this weekend. They may be a little shorter than usual for a little tiny bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home