KaneKong at the Movies

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Actor's Spotlight: Philip Seymour Hoffman

What's your favorite Hoffman performance? Tricky ain't it? This cat has been in a boondoggle basketfull of movies. I'll list a few of my faves to try and help you decide:

Punch-Drunk Love (2002) -Dean Trumbell:

Dean Trumbell: Shut up! SHUT THE FUCK UP! Shut up! Shut, shut, shut, shut, SHUT UP! Are you threatening me?
Barry: Umm... yeah.
Dean Trumbell: That wasn't good. You're dead.

Almost Famous (2000) -Lester Bangs:

Lester Bangs: Oh man, you made friends with 'em. See, friendship is the booze they feed you. They want you to get drunk on feeling like you belong.
William Miller: Well, it was fun.
Lester Bangs: Because they make you feel cool, and hey, I met you. You are not cool.

The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) -Freddie Miles:

Freddie Miles: Tommy. How's the peeping? Tommy, how's the peeping? Tommy. Tommy. Tommy. Tommy. Tommy.

Magnolia (1999) - Phil:

Phil Parma: Do you know that every other word you use is either 'shit', 'fuck', 'balls' or 'cocksucker'?
Earl Partridge: Could you do me a personal favor?
Phil Parma: Go fuck myself?
Earl Partridge: You got it.

Happiness (1998) -Allen:

Allen: Censored

The Big Lebowski (1998) -Brandt:

The Big Lebowski: Start talking and talk fast you lousy bum.
Brandt: We've been frantically trying to reach you, Dude.

Boogie Nights (1997) -Scotty:

Scotty: Dirk?
Dirk: What? What is it Scotty?
Scotty: Can you come look at my new car now, please?
Dirk: Sure..

-----
Frikkin' awesome. All of 'em. We'll go ahead and sweep 'Flawless' (1999) under the rug right now. Anything recent work with De Niro usually makes me feel sad. Not Tammy Faye sad. But, still, pretty sad.

I'll come clean with my favorite performance. Scotty from Boogie Nights. It takes some balls to throw yourself into a role like that. But Hoffman pulls it off perfectly. According to P.T. Anderson. The two-sizes-too-small tanktops were all Hoffmans idea. He's constantly tugging down at the hem of his shirt in every scene, unless he has his arms crossed protectively across his chest... "I'm a fuggin' idiot. I'm a fuggin' idiot. Fuggin' idiot, fuggin' idiot, fuggin' idiot...". Have you seen a sadder role than this? Now compare him to the evil bastard he plays in 'Punch-Drunk Love', "Are *you* threatening *me*?", now the high society prude in 'The Talented Mr. Ripley', Ripley: "What are you trying to say?"
Freddie: "I think I'm saying it.".

It's like that one guy who introduces the Violent Femmes on that one album: "You cannot Fuck with this band! You *cannot* Fuck with this band!". That sums up how I feel about a genuine, flatout Philip Seymour Hoffman performance.

That mofo has got a wider range than all the Maytag ovens... spread clear across Montana and into the majestic plains.

Mr. Seymour Hoffman, I salute you.

*toot!*

2 Comments:

  • Don't forget his highly amped up ravings in Twister. It's where I got my first taste of the Hoffman.

    By Blogger DJ, at 5:03 PM  

  • I found your blog on heber springs arkansas while searching the web and wanted to tell you it is great. Feel free to have your participants view heber springs arkansas for more great ideas.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home