KaneKong at the Movies

Friday, July 08, 2005

Annie Hall (1977)

Title: 'Annie Hall' (1977)
Genre: Woody Allen
Rating 8.5/10

This movie is almost thirty years old and it made me laugh out loud. To no one inparticular, in my empty apartment.

[after sex with Annie]
Alvy Singer: That was the most fun I've ever had without laughing.


I love Woody Allen. His short stories are worth a look too. And remember that one where Robin Williams was actually watchable? 'Deconstructing Harry' (1997) where Williams' character feels 'out of focus'. Genius. Or 'Sweet and Lowdown' (1999) with Sean Penn. That one's in my top twenty that I've never acually sat down and worked out.

[after Annie parks the car]
Alvy Singer: Don't worry. We can walk to the curb from here.


Super personal. Super funny.

Alvy Singer: I think, I think there's too much burden placed on the orgasm, you know, to make up for empty areas in life.
Pam: Who said that?
Alvy Singer: It may have been Leopold and Loeb.


Makes me feel brainy.

Alvy Singer: I feel that life is divided into the horrible and the miserable. That's the two categories. The horrible are like, I don't know, terminal cases, you know, and blind people, crippled. I don't know how they get through life. It's amazing to me. And the miserable is everyone else. So you should be thankful that you're miserable, because that's very lucky, to be miserable.

Amen.

... My mother hates Woody Allen movies, which brings a nice cosmic balance to my hatred of Robin Williams, charity case dipshit at large. But when you add this to her dismissal of subtitled films, you can't help feeling an ounce of frustration and a pint of sadness. Ahem. I'll get off your couch now...

Sometimes it takes an extra serving of gravy to go out on a limb and wholeheartedly recommend a movie. As in "You'll love this mo-fo...". But I'm certainly glad I was pointed towards this gem. Now point yourself towards your movie store.

Another act of service done right.

1 Comments:

  • I found your blog on alarm car honda while searching the web and wanted to tell you it is great. Feel free to have your participants view alarm car honda for more great ideas.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home